Mack the Knife is The Man I Love: A Weill-Gershwin Cabaret
February 9, 2019
Featuring the songs of George Gershwin and Kurt Weill
Did these two geniuses ever cross paths on Broadway? Did they know that they were contributing to a set of works that would truly “set the standard” for American popular song? Enjoy a slate of standards, such as “I Got Rhythm,” “Summertime,” “September Song,” and “Mack the Knife,” in a cabaret setting that promises to chase away the winter blues.
This performance is underwritten by Virginia and Charles Clark.
Cosí fan tutte
March 16, 20, 22, and 24, 2019
LOVE IS NEVER A SURE THING.
With a name that practically screams “master manipulator,” the cynical Don Alfonso goads two friends into making a not-so-friendly wager. Its outcome will either defend the virtue of the two sisters they love, or expose a duplicitous streak supposedly inherent in all women. Unknown to their brides-to-be, a battle of the sexes has begun, and the two men set out to test the faithfulness of their fiancées, but end up tempting Fate in the process.
In the midst of madcap machismo and pre-feminist farce, we find Mozart in Monte Carlo, sipping mojitos, reveling in the mischief, and leaving the rest of us to marvel at his musical masterpiece.
March 30 and 31, 2019
By Sarah Kirkland Snider
What happens when a soldier finally comes home—but remembers nothing? This groundbreaking song cycle, based on The Odyssey but told from Penelope’s point of view, was named one of the five best genre-defying works in 2010 by National Public Radio. A meditation on the trauma of war, memory, and home, Penelope is sure to be touching, intimate, and dramatic.
The Pearl Fishers
April 27; May 1, 3, and 5, 2019
PASSION. BETRAYAL. VENGEANCE. JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE.
Two old friends, one a simple pearl diver and the other a powerful island chieftain, are unexpectedly reunited with the woman whose beauty nearly destroyed their friendship. This “goddess among us” is a veiled priestess who wards off storms and evil spirits through a life of solitude and celibacy. To break her vow means certain death, but she and the young pearl diver fan the flames of a fiery forbidden love anyway. That’s when the storm really hits the sand.
The chieftain, picking through what’s left of his village and his heart, must condemn both his best friend and his greatest desire to death. But the priestess has one final trick left up her sari.
This sensuous staging of Bizet’s exotic pre-Carmen classic explodes with expressive patterns and extravagant colors created by fashion designer Zandra Rhodes.
Past Seasons and Performances
2018 - 2019
- West Side Story, September 22 – September 30, 2018
- Madama Butterfly, November 3 – November 11, 2018
Cosí fan tutte, March 16-24, 2019
The Pearl Fishers, April 27 – May 5, 2019
- High Fidelity Opera, November 17, 2018
Cabaret: Mack the Knife is the Man I Love, February 9, 2019
Penelope, March 30-31, 2019
Main Stage Season:
- Eugene Onegin, September 30 – October 8, 2017
- Everest, November 11 – 19, 2017
- Rigoletto, March 3 – 11, 2018
- The Barber of Seville, April 28; May 2, 4, and 6, 2018
- Meet the Resident Artists, September 24, 2017
- Arias and Barcarolles | The Bernstein Songbook, October 14, 2017
- As One, January 27-28, 2018
- American Voices, March 24, 2018
Main Stage Season:
- Hansel and Gretel, September 17 – 25, 2016
- The Marriage of Figaro, November 5 – 13, 2016
- Dead Man Walking, March 4 – 12, 2017
- The Pirates of Penzance, April 22 – 30, 2017
- Meet the Resident Artists, September 11, 2016
- Schubert | Beatles, October 1, 2016
- The Juliet Letters, January 28 and 29, 2017
- American Voices, March 19, 2017