The Abduction from the Seraglio
September 21, 25, 27, and 29, 2019
The only thing harder than breaking into Hollywood is breaking out.
This risqué rom-com transplants Mozart’s trademark melodies to 1930s Tinseltown, where a “legitimate businessman” kidnaps a dishy deb with even prettier pipes and locks her away in his swanky nightclub.
While her honey puts together a plan to free the club’s new canary from her cage, her singing sparks a sweetness beneath the intimidating exterior of the buttoned-up boss. But with a gorilla guarding the door to her dressing room, it’ll take more than a little luck to break her outta the joint. Until then, the showgirl must go on.
November 9, 13, 15, and 17, 2019
Love is fleeting. Lovers even more so.
Paris is for lovers…Puccini is for opera lovers. At the crossroads, an unrivaled romance sets bright bohemian rhapsodies against a tragic trajectory, blending into one of opera’s quintessential tearjerkers.
It’s here, on a brisk, candlelit night, that a young seamstress loses her keys and finds the love of her life.
The merciless winter chill seeps and creeps through the couple’s drafty dwelling until it permeates their hearts, replacing hope and happiness with doubt and jealousy. The two lovers are finally reunited – and their love rekindled – by a tragic turn of events that ultimately leaves one of them consumed by grief, and the other by consumption.
C’es la vie. C’est l’amour. C’est l’opera.
Lucia di Lammermoor
March 7, 11, 13, and 15, 2020
Come for the wedding. Stay for the funeral.
Despite ominous premonitions, young Lucia stokes the fire of a forbidden love with her brother’s greatest enemy. But with her one-wealthy family balanced on the brink of bankruptcy, she is forced to do her familial duty and marry the head of a rival family. Convinced by her ambitious brother that her true love has been unfaithful, she signs the marriage contract. When her former flame finds out, he flips out. And that’s when the wedding cake hits the fan.
With tragedy rivaling Romeo and Juliet, and violence reminiscent of Psycho, a day that began with a wedding march now ends with a funeral procession. And a little club soda will NOT get this out.
April 25, 29, May 1, and 3, 2020
Dad hasn’t been himself lately, or literally.
Deep in the shadows of the Colorado Rockies, nestled between the middle of nowhere and miles from where anyone can hear you scream, waits the Overlook Hotel. For its new caretakers, the Torrance family, the only thing more unnerving than their profound seclusion is the realization that they are not the hotel’s only guests.
The young son with a sixth sense endures this house of horrors as his father faces demons – past and present, real and remembered – that ultimately turn him into a monster. What started as a desperate search for financial (and marital) sanctuary, spirals into a terrifying struggle for sanity and survival.
With music as haunting as the story is tragic, only through opera does The Shining discover more frightening and fulfilling depths than ever before.
Past Seasons and Performances
- West Side Story, September 22 – September 30, 2018
- Madama Butterfly, November 3 – November 11, 2018
- Cosí fan tutte, March 16-24, 2019
- The Pearl Fishers, April 27 – May 5, 2019
- High Fidelity Opera, November 17, 2018
- Cabaret: Mack the Knife is the Man I Love, February 9, 2019
- Penelope, March 30-31, 2019
Main Stage Season:
- Eugene Onegin, September 30 – October 8, 2017
- Everest, November 11 – 19, 2017
- Rigoletto, March 3 – 11, 2018
- The Barber of Seville, April 28; May 2, 4, and 6, 2018
- Meet the Resident Artists, September 24, 2017
- Arias and Barcarolles | The Bernstein Songbook, October 14, 2017
- As One, January 27-28, 2018
- American Voices, March 24, 2018
Main Stage Season:
- Hansel and Gretel, September 17 – 25, 2016
- The Marriage of Figaro, November 5 – 13, 2016
- Dead Man Walking, March 4 – 12, 2017
- The Pirates of Penzance, April 22 – 30, 2017
- Meet the Resident Artists, September 11, 2016
- Schubert | Beatles, October 1, 2016
- The Juliet Letters, January 28 and 29, 2017
- American Voices, March 19, 2017