Announcing our 2020-2021 Season
September 26, 30, October 2 and 4, 2020
A NIGHT WITH A FRENCH COURTESAN DOESN’T ALWAYS HAVE A HAPPY ENDING.
Violetta, a courtesan whose beauty is matched only by her intellect and her influence, is celebrated for her skills in seduction and savoir faire, attracting admirers from the cream of the aristocratic crop. But when the hopeless romantic Alfredo professes true love, Violetta abandons her life of luxury to be with the love of her life. From here, Verdi’s goosebump-inducing melodies serenade the star-crossed couple on their steady descent into scandal, sacrifice, and tragedy.
THE GERSHWINS’ PORGY AND BESS
November 7, 11, 13 and 15, 2020
THE SONG SAYS THE LIVIN’ IS EASY. IT AIN’T NECESSARILY SO.
Hailed as the first American opera, Porgy and Bess has courted critical acclaim and cultural controversy since its premiere. In this tragic love story, a wealth of musical purity pours out of a community plagued by poverty and addiction. For Porgy, a man with “plenty o’ nuttin’,” protecting the woman he loves is everything. But can he truly be her knight in shining armor? Or will their story end with each back where they started?
THE (R)EVOLUTION OF STEVE JOBS
February 27, March 3, 5 and 7, 2021
THE STORY OF THE PERSONAL COMPUTER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE PERSONAL.
In a brand-new production as innovative as the man who inspired it, we explore the life of Steve Jobs, from hippie idealist to tech icon. How is it that a person whose devices have connected us in so many ways struggled to make meaningful connections with the people closest to him? Beneath the towering Silicon Valley legend is the story of a complicated human being whose personal demons had lasting consequences.
April 24, 28, 30 and May 2, 2021
IF YOU’RE NOT WRAPPED AROUND HER FINGER, CHECK UNDER HER HEEL.
Bizet’s feminist fatale is the kind of woman your mother warned you about—and secretly wanted to be. When Carmen is arrested by Don Jose, her passion is so potent that he lets her go, and follows her into a new life among smugglers and fortune tellers. After a tarot card reading foretells death, their romance becomes Fate’s first victim. Jealous and obsessed, Jose confronts Carmen. Will she make one more daring escape, or is her fate inevitable?
Past Seasons and Performances
- West Side Story, September 22 – September 30, 2018
- Madama Butterfly, November 3 – November 11, 2018
- Cosí fan tutte, March 16-24, 2019
- The Pearl Fishers, April 27 – May 5, 2019
- High Fidelity Opera, November 17, 2018
- Cabaret: Mack the Knife is the Man I Love, February 9, 2019
- Penelope, March 30-31, 2019
Main Stage Season:
- Eugene Onegin, September 30 – October 8, 2017
- Everest, November 11 – 19, 2017
- Rigoletto, March 3 – 11, 2018
- The Barber of Seville, April 28; May 2, 4, and 6, 2018
- Meet the Resident Artists, September 24, 2017
- Arias and Barcarolles | The Bernstein Songbook, October 14, 2017
- As One, January 27-28, 2018
- American Voices, March 24, 2018
Main Stage Season:
- Hansel and Gretel, September 17 – 25, 2016
- The Marriage of Figaro, November 5 – 13, 2016
- Dead Man Walking, March 4 – 12, 2017
- The Pirates of Penzance, April 22 – 30, 2017
- Meet the Resident Artists, September 11, 2016
- Schubert | Beatles, October 1, 2016
- The Juliet Letters, January 28 and 29, 2017
- American Voices, March 19, 2017