As the premier performing arts institution in Kansas City, Lyric Opera strives to hire the best in the field. That is, individuals with a great work ethic, sound values, and a drive for excellence. Our employees are passionate believers in the power of art to impact community, and the importance of opera in the artistic cultural ecosystem.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City is a Company that celebrates diversity, and continually strives to foster a positive, flexible, engaging work environment; a place where building relationships and empowering colleagues is encouraged.
Full time, part-time, intern and volunteer opportunities will be listed below; click the title for details. If you don’t see a job opportunity for your specialty, you can still submit your resume for consideration. Submit all inquiries for opportunities at the Lyric Opera by email or mail. No calls please.
- Email: HR@kcopera.org
- Mail: Lyric Opera of Kansas City, Attn: Human Resources, 1725 Holmes St., Kansas City, MO 64108
The Lyric Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Manager of Individual Giving
About the Position:
The Manager of Individual Giving is an integral part of a dynamic and effective fundraising team. This position will work closely with and report to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and will be responsible for all aspects of the Annual Fund donor campaign, Angel Donor annual campaign, will serve as the LOKC Circle liaison, and will perform other development department duties.
Key elements of this position include:
Annual Fund Donor Campaign ($1-$2,499) – Will work closely with the CDO to devise strategy to achieve annual fund goals. Research and identify prospective donors, plan and execute relationship-building and donor cultivation initiatives including telefunding, direct mail appeals and other events as needed. This position will work the Marketing/Communications team to prepare solicitation materials and presentations.
Angel Donor Annual Campaign ($2,500-$10,000) – Collaborate with the CDO to devise strategy to achieve annual fund goals, execute strategy to identify prospective Angel donors and engage in regular contact to ensure donors receive appropriate acknowledgements and benefits. Plan and implement donor events.
Lyric Opera Circle Liaison – Serve as primary contact with Lyric Opera Circle, an exclusive group of community members whose purpose is to host the annual Lyric Opera Ball, held in the spring each year. Attend meetings and events as appropriate and support Company involvement with Ball leadership.
Core Competencies Requirements:
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, and ability to make “cold calls.”
- Ability to collaborate with staff, professional colleagues, and supporters.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including; Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Proficiency in Tessitura or equivalent customer relationship management software (ex. Raiser’s Edge) a plus.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in arts administration, marketing, public administration or closely related field.
- Three to five years of experience in fundraising or business development.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City offers competitive compensation with a rich, varied benefits package – all from our headquarters located in the Crossroads Arts District of downtown Kansas City, which offers easy access to downtown appointments, great restaurants and shops for activities during the workday and beyond.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please type “Manager of Individual Giving” in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled. Candidate must pass a background screening. Lyric Opera of Kansas City, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NO CALLS please.
Marketing & Social Media Intern, Spring 2020 Semester
Intern period: April 6, 2020 through April 25, 2020
Internship for Credit or Compensation ($350 stipend offered)
Work Schedule: 10 hours per week*
*To be scheduled during regular business hours and will include certain performance evenings and/or weekends.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City is one of the nation’s premier regional opera companies, producing four operas each season at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. We seek to provide the right candidate with hands-on experience in marketing and social media in a fast-paced, creative environment.
The multi-faceted internship’s duties include:
- Social Media: Help develop social media strategy, content ideas & content execution.
- Guerilla Marketing: research and strategize opportunities for posters, fliers, other marketing content
- Assist with vendor/ local partner management, coffee sleeve distribution, poster and other media distribution.
- Other marketing duties: Organizational projects, research assignments and more.
- Junior or Senior student majoring in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a Closely Related Field
- Must commit to 10 hours per week during regular business hours and certain evening and weekend hours during performance periods
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Lyric Opera seeks an intern who demonstrates initiative, creativity and the keen ability to independently manage projects. Interested applicants should forward a resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Marketing & Social Media Intern” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is March 23, 2020.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City is an equal opportunity employer. No calls, please.