As the premier performing arts institution in Kansas City, Lyric Opera strives to hire the best in the field. That is, individuals with a great work ethic, sound values, and a drive for excellence. Our employees are passionate believers in the power of art to impact community, and the importance of opera in the artistic cultural ecosystem.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City is a Company that celebrates diversity, and continually strives to foster a positive, flexible, engaging work environment; a place where building relationships and empowering colleagues is encouraged.
Full time, part-time, intern and volunteer opportunities will be listed below; click the title for details. If you don’t see a job opportunity for your specialty, you can still submit your resume for consideration. Submit all inquiries for opportunities at the Lyric Opera by email or mail. No calls please.
- Email: HR@kcopera.org
- Mail: Lyric Opera of Kansas City, Attn: Human Resources, 1725 Holmes St., Kansas City, MO 64108
The Lyric Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Director of Marketing and Communications
Lyric Opera of Kansas City seeks a poised and professional candidate who will be responsible for the strategy, implementation, evaluation and achievement of earned ticket revenue goals and for the development and effective implementation of communications. The Director is charged with providing clear and consistent leadership and oversight of the Marketing and Ticketing and Patron Services (T&PS) teams. The Director is responsible for developing short-term and long-term marketing and communications plans in support of LOKC productions, publications and events. The Director is also charged with managing the Company’s brand identity both internally and externally. The Director is responsible for tracking and analyzing sales and attendance data to monitor and improve the Company’s sales performance. In cooperation with the CFO, the Director will generate relevant financial analysis to assist in developing ongoing strategies to maximize ticket revenue and to create and monitor the annual budgets for both Marketing and T&PS teams.
The Marketing and Communications team is responsible for subscription and single tickets sales campaigns, advertising, audience development, publicity, press releases, communications, forecasts, publications, public relations budget oversight, community partnerships and engagement. The T&PS team is responsible for providing excellent customer service to our patrons and the sale and distribution of tickets for LOKC performances.
The Director of Marketing and Communications serves an important role on the senior leadership team. This team is charged with creating and embracing opportunities to position the Company as a leader and integral player in the Kansas City Arts Community. The Director works closely with the Chief Financial Officer, Chief Development Officer and other Directors.
- A demonstrated ability to collect, analyze and act upon financial and demographic data and use related metrics to produce increases in the effectiveness of the marketing programs.
- Superior knowledge of opera and the performing arts industry.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a multi-generational audience.
- Ability to effectively manage staff.
- Collaborate with staff, professional colleagues, and supporters.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including; Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point)
- Experience with Tessitura a plus.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Arts Administration from an accredited baccalaureate program or an acceptable equivalent. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of five to seven years of experience in arts marketing with a demonstrated history of producing outstanding results.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City offers competitive compensation with a rich, varied benefits package.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to HR@kcopera.org. Please type “Director of Marketing” in the subject line. Candidate must pass a background screening. This position will remain open until filled. Lyric Opera of Kansas City, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NO CALLS please.
Marketing & Social Media Intern, Spring 2020 Semester
Intern period: April 6, 2020 through April 25, 2020
Internship for Credit or Compensation ($350 stipend offered)
Work Schedule: 10 hours per week*
*To be scheduled during regular business hours and will include certain performance evenings and/or weekends.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City is one of the nation’s premier regional opera companies, producing four operas each season at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. We seek to provide the right candidate with hands-on experience in marketing and social media in a fast-paced, creative environment.
The multi-faceted internship’s duties include:
- Social Media: Help develop social media strategy, content ideas & content execution.
- Guerilla Marketing: research and strategize opportunities for posters, fliers, other marketing content
- Assist with vendor/ local partner management, coffee sleeve distribution, poster and other media distribution.
- Other marketing duties: Organizational projects, research assignments and more.
- Junior or Senior student majoring in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a Closely Related Field
- Must commit to 10 hours per week during regular business hours and certain evening and weekend hours during performance periods
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Lyric Opera seeks an intern who demonstrates initiative, creativity and the keen ability to independently manage projects. Interested applicants should forward a resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Marketing & Social Media Intern” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is March 23, 2020.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City is an equal opportunity employer. No calls, please.