As the premier performing arts institution in Kansas City, Lyric Opera strives to hire the best in the field. That is, individuals with a great work ethic, sound values, and a drive for excellence. Our employees are passionate believers in the power of art to impact community, and the importance of opera in the artistic cultural ecosystem.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City is a Company that celebrates diversity, and continually strives to foster a positive, flexible, engaging work environment; a place where building relationships and empowering colleagues is encouraged.
Full time, part-time, intern and volunteer opportunities will be listed below; click the title for details. If you don’t see a job opportunity for your specialty, you can still submit your resume for consideration. Submit all inquiries for opportunities at the Lyric Opera by email or mail. No calls please.
- Email: HR@kcopera.org
- Mail: Lyric Opera of Kansas City, Attn: Human Resources, 1725 Holmes St., Kansas City, MO 64108
The Lyric Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Manager of Education and Community Engagement
About the Position: Lyric Opera of Kansas City seeks a poised and professional candidate who will be responsible for Education and Community Engagement at Lyric Opera of Kansas City (LOKC), as well as providing management of contracted education staff. The Manager is responsible for creating, developing, implementing, and evaluating all aspects of LOKC’s Education and Community Engagement programs. The goal of this programming is to build and expand future audiences for opera while also enriching the experiences of adult audiences already familiar with opera. These programs will reach learners of every age level—students, students in schools, and adults. It is the Manager’s responsibility to establish and nurture beneficial partnerships within the community at large and to increase LOKC’s relevance and reach. Examples include but are not limited to Kansas City Young Audiences, libraries, performing and visual arts institutions, community partners, and schools. This position also requires an ability to leverage internal resources. All programs shall be in strategic alignment with LOKC’s goals. As a result, the Manager must work collaboratively with all other departments.
- Extraordinary vision and creativity.
- Ability to inspire and motivate colleagues and volunteer leadership.
- Exhibit sensitivity to multicultural issues and enthusiasm for opera as an art form.
- Must have strategic and tactical skills, and the capacity to change management practices.
- Possess a strong marketing sensibility, the awareness of philanthropic partner and processes and expertise in designing educational programming for diverse populations.
- Ability to administer programs, plan budgets, recruit and work with educators, volunteers, and learners of all ages.
- Ability to collaborate with staff, professional colleagues, and supporters.
- Excellent oral/written/interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point)
- Familiarity with Finale and MIDI files.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (BM, BA, BS in Music Education) required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in opera/arts education or teaching.
- Knowledge of opera.
- A successful track record of producing small-venue artistic events is desired.
- Demonstrated proficiency with project and personnel management.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City seeks a diverse talent pool affording equal opportunity to all candidates without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to HR@kcopera.org. Please type “Manager of Education” in the subject line. A full job description may be viewed via a link on our website at https://kcopera.org/about/employment/. Lyric Opera of Kansas City offers competitive compensation with a rich, varied benefits package. Qualified Candidate must pass a background screening. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected. NO CALLS please.