As the premier performing arts institution in Kansas City, the Lyric Opera strives to hire the best in the field. That is, individuals with a great work ethic, sound values, and a drive for excellence. Our employees are passionate believers in the power of art to impact community, and the importance of opera in the artistic cultural ecosystem.
Lyric Opera of Kansas City is a Company that celebrates diversity, and continually strives to foster a positive, flexible, engaging work environment; a place where building relationships and empowering colleagues is encouraged.
Full time, part-time, intern and volunteer opportunities will be listed below, click the title for details. If you don’t see a job opportunity for your specialty, you can still submit your resume for consideration. Submit all inquiries for opportunities at the Lyric Opera by email or mail. No calls please.
- Email: HR@kcopera.org
- Mail: Lyric Opera of Kansas City, Attn: Human Resources, 1725 Holmes St., Kansas City, MO 64108
The Lyric Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Prop Master - Contract/Seasonal
Lyric Opera of Kansas City (LOKC), a Level 2 opera company, is seeking a Seasonal Prop Master. Our season consists of 4 large scale operas performed at the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts and 2-3 smaller works, performed in smaller venues, as part of our Explorations Series.
Key elements of this position:
The Props Master works with Directors, Designers, and LOKC’s Technical Director (TD) to collect, alter, build and purchase hand props, furniture props, and set dressing for each production. This position is also responsible for inventorying the show, creating a prop list when necessary, maintaining props, working within a budget and attending meetings as necessary. Other duties will include maintaining current LOKC prop inventory and working with the TD to coordinate outside prop rentals.
The Props Master should be skilled in props shopping, computer graphics and software, carpentry tools, upholstery, sewing, crafts, furniture construction and painting.
This is a contract, seasonal. Mainstage season runs from Mid-August to beginning of May.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or 3 years of experience working in a professional prop atmosphere.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
• Ability to collaborate with staff and professional colleagues
• Knowledge of Kansas City area helpful but not required
• Must be able to work nights and weekends, as required.
• Must have the ability to lift 50 pounds.
• Must be able to twist, turn, bend, reach and work overhead.
• Position is hourly and paid weekly. Compensation is determined by experience.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume materials, work samples and 2-3 references to HR@kcopera.org . Please type “Prop Master” in the subject line. Lyric Opera of Kansas City, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NO CALLS please.
Deadline to apply is July 31, 2019.